Friday, September 12, 2014

Back to College

Driving down University Avenue is something that I do on a regular basis, but I don't always go all the way to the U. Yesterday, I had a meeting at the University and it was as exciting as I had expected to be back on campus. University Avenue and campus was bustling with all of the students going to class and the employees going to work. It was a city to itself, and it brought me back to my days at the University of Minnesota. It's amazing how just a few experiences, can bring back so many positive emotions and memories from the past.



Colleges have been a part of my life for many years, 17 to be exact. It all started in September, 1997 when I first arrived at the University of Minnesota. I'll remember many things from that first year and the following three years, as it truly was a special experience for me. It is funny, that although since that time I have been at many other colleges...I still compare all of the colleges to the U. I have had great experiences at the University of North Dakota, North Dakota State University, University of Missouri, Loyola College in Maryland, and the College of William and Mary, but there is something special about the U of M!

So what is it about colleges that kept me either attending or working at them for the past 17 years. Well I think the main thing is the energy that is found on a college campus. It is palpable no matter what the size of the campus. The energy could be coming from many different things, and it may be depending on your perspective. For me the energy comes from the opportunity for people to come and learn new things, to expand their beliefs, and to meet people with all types of perspectives. From Grand Forks, ND to the U of M was a culture shock, but exactly what I needed to help me move to a deeper understanding of what diversity truly is.



Seventeen years on college campuses is a long time, and this fall it is my first year not working or attending college. I am still excited for this next step, but it definitely was great to be back. Dr. Kim and I were at the U of M to meet therapists at the Mental Health Clinic at Boynton Student Health. In this open house, we were hoping to share about why Twin Cities Psychological Services, Ltd. would be a great fit for many of their students. I personally am hopeful and excited for the possibility of working with students in our practice, as college students are a specialty area for my psychology practice that I hope to continue. It also will help me stay connected to my college roots.



I hope that all of you that have been to college long ago, or maybe in college now, take advantage of your local college or university. I know that even though I don't work there any more, I will be back at the U often. I will cheer on the Gophers at sporting events, I will attend theatre and dance events put on by the talented students, and I will go to lectures and presentations to expand my knowledge. Learning is life long and there are many opportunities to keep learning if you have a college or university in your backyard.

Until next time,
Bobby
Robert L. Reis II, Ph.D., LP


No comments:

Post a Comment